Is it just me or summer is a time for slowing down and just enjoying life?
Summertime and the living is easy
Fish are jumping and rage cotton is high
Oh, your daddy’s rich and your ma is good look in’
So hush little baby, don’t you cry – Ella Fitzgerald.
For me, summer is where I start to notice the small things in life and the natural beauty of the world. Thankfully I am in a position where I can work from just about anywhere, so I get to experience the flowers blooming, the birds singing and the general joy that the general population get from that little bit of sunshine.
I am such a fan of the British summertime here are my top favourite things that represent summer to me;
- Village Fete’s and Fairs – You just cannot beat browsing around a village fete on a summers day. Homemade village jams and scones, local produce and cakes until you cannot eat anymore. You never know what you will get in the raffle and who is not happy Playing Splat the Rat or Wanging the Wellie for the village title of a high achiever for the year.
- Beer Gardens – Everyone is ready to socialise when the sun is out, eating out and spending time with friends over a few pints of local ale is a must in the pub garden.
- Strawberries – Quintessentially the taste of British Summer my favourite with merginue and cream. Eton Mess is loved by almost everyone. The shops are awash with the brilliant red hue of punnets of strawberries. Strawberries mean Tennis and that Wimbledon is near where we can all get excited with anticipation of a British win followed of course by inevitable disappointment.
- Watching the cricket – Whether you are a cricket fan or not, is there a better way to spend a lazy day in the sun eating sandwiches while listening to the radio commentary on England’s performance? Be it at Edgbaston or at your local cricket ground we love to listen to the sound of the ball against bat.
- Eating Outside – The smell of the barbecue food wafting across the gardens at the weekends. I don’t know why food tastes better when it is cooked outdoors but it just does. Getting out of the office to eat your lunch on a park bench – get out there and do it!
I know that some people complain about; the weather…its too hot, the traffic, I wish it would rain for garden, at the semi naked man walking down the street with their guns and tums hanging out.
I just don’t mind it at all, after all it is just being British in the Summertime. Bring it on!